To greatly minimize your exposure to toxins and enjoy safer, healthier meals, you’ll want to buy organic versions of the foods that conventionally come with the heaviest burden of pesticides and hormones.
Starting with fruits and vegetables, the most important foods to buy organic (beginning with the most conventionally contaminated) are:
1. Celery, dried celery,
2. Peaches and nectarines,
3. Strawberries and blueberries,
4. Apples, apple juice and dried apples,
5. Sweet red, green and yellow bell peppers,
6. Most green leafy vegetables, especially choose
* Collard greens,
* And all types of lettuce
10. GMO foods – Most conventional soybeans and corn are genetically modified. To avoid these GMO foods, buy organic versions.
11. Dairy products – most conventionally raised cows are fed grains with pesticides and injected with drugs, antibiotics and growth hormones.
12. Meat and poultry – To meet USDA requirements, organic meat and poultry must come only from animals that are fed organic feed, given no hormones or antibiotics and are generally allowed to free range.
Certified organic foods have this US Department of Agriculture symbol.